[compost_tea] Re: ACT

From: tomjasz <tom_at_livesoil.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:18:11 -0000

 Unfortunately, but understandably the developers of the nutrient
packs have invested thousands of dollars in their "recipes". Two
developers I have conversations with aren't particularly excited
about having a competition. They are busy with their farmers, fruit
growers and viticulturists developing successful operations based on
sustainable practice and using ACT as a part of the program. The
controlled testing has been going on with several manufacturers for
several years. The idea of a competition borders on the ridiculous
from my perspective. What would such a competition achieve?
Apparently several tea systems are producing stellar results. Some
find the need to blather about and have NOT achieved any consistent
successes.(comment not directed at list!) I continue to suspect they
bandy about only the best of their tests. Other manufacturers
consistently produce high quality tea without competitions or this
list. Please don't misunderstand that comment...there are over 300
members and about ten posters!!!

Some times despite our best intentions and even with consistent
products there are pratfalls and as has been pointed out even the
best of systems and composts can produce only moderately good tea. We
struggled for several batches to achieve fungal consistency. The
oddest of practices affected the quality.

Personally I have stayed allied with a manufacturer who consistently
tests, improves and supports his customers. No sales pitches, no
posts, no bolstered claims, just customer service. I often hear
complaints about the price of nutrient packs and compost, but when I
consider the costs of experimenting and producing my own formulas,
suddenly the prices are very reasonable.

>With the variables in mind, and I've suggested this before, a good
test for the group to do, would be >to run several brewers at the
same >time, through controlled tests. It doesn't have to be to prove
>one brewer superior to another, but maybe to prove different methods
over >another (air pumps vs >tea pumps vs air/tea pumps); using
multiple brewers of the different types to return a basis. >Couldn't
these tests be >done with the same batch and amount of compost, the
same batch and >amount of feed additives, the same batch and amount
of water, >brew time, temp, etc?

I believe that formulas are developed around the brewer and the
intended use of the ACT, this sort of test would have little
validity. IMNSHO

Some manufacturers are to busy building, selling, and supporting
customers, again what would they gain?

As usual I have more questions than answers, It sure would be nice to
hear from a few more of the 340 lurkers!!!!

Success to all,
Namaste

tomj

http://us.click.yahoo.com/l.m7sD/LIdGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM