[compost_tea] Re: drip irrigation

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 00:28:30 -0000

--- Thanks Mike and Michael. Great questions and answers. I was
wanting those answers yesterday and didn't have time to ask. I am
plugging tips and wondering how fine a filter is acceptable. My tips
are nearly 1/16 inch dia. Keep that lab open 7X24!!!!!HAHAHAAAAGH
Dennis

In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Harvey" <mharvey_at_w...> wrote:
> Mike Daniels,
> Correction to last post 100 mesh equals 141 micron.
>
> According to "Drip Irrigation" by Netafim Australia following is
what to do.
> 1. Flush all mains and submains and divide irrigated are into
smallest plots and treat individually
> 2 Check pumping rate. required dose of 30% phos acid is 1 litre per
cubic metre of discharge.
> 3 Test max discharge of inject pump (or venturi) use only injectors
etc that are acid resistant.
> 4 Prepare volume of solution equal to one tenth the hourly
discharge rate of the injector pump ( or venturi etc).
> CAUTION add acid to water never water to acid.
> 5 Start injector with irrigation system operating.
> 6 Check pH at the furthermost lateral with meter or litmus paper.
The required pH is 4.0.
> 7Continue irrigation for 30 to 60 mins. The irrigation should then
stop and water left in the lines for about one hour.
> 8Flush the whole system.
> Example of calculation required.
> Pump discharge 20m3per hour
> Injector pump rate 250 litre per hour
> Acid required (1Lper m3) 20 litres
> total solution required 250 + 10 =25 litres
> Therefore add 20 litres of acid to 5 litres of water to make up to
the 25 litres.

> The phos acid is Tech grade 95% (or is it 85%) phos acid available
in 200 litre drums. Cost around $1.20 a litre??
> Regards Mike Harvey
> New Life Soils www.composttea.com.au

irrigation systems.
> Filtration sytems are usually 100 mesh (100 micron) this is
very fine and
> will filter out Fungi that has been allowed to grow out to
reasonable size.
> That is for our brew 24 hours at 28deg C down to 22dec C, this
is too long
> as the fungi grow out to a size that will be filtered out. (You
may be able
> to use a coarser filtration system more suited to larger
openings in the
> water sprayers you use)
> I spoke to the folks at SFI Australia and they advised me to
use a short
> brew time, more like 10 hours, long enough to activate and
begin growing the
> fungi etc but not so long that the fungi will block filters. I
have been
> doing this since and have had no trouble with it going through
systems.
> Phosphori c acid can be used to clean irrigation systems, the
acid will
> disolve organic matter in the lines and the phos acid will
supply some
> phosphorus to the plants (it will of course kill MO where it
drips) ask your
> irrigation supplier for more details.This is usually done once
a year if
> required.
> As with other fertigation systems always pressurise the system
fully before
> injecting and then ensure enough water passes through the
system to flush
> all material out.
> My experience is that liquid fish should not be used in an
irrigation system
> as it will tend to block things. Molasses, Humic acid, and
AACT are more
> suited.
> Regards Mike Harvey
> New Life Soils, www.composttea.com.au

products can
> > be used that won't effect the organisms? There is also have a
fairly
> > high sulfur content in the water. Will this affect the
microbes and,
> > if so, is there a way to deal with it? I am also needing info
on
> > pumps that would be appropriate, for this type of
application, that

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

> compost_tea-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

Service.

Service.

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM