[compost_tea] Korean Natural Farming - IMO techniques

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:49:31 -0400

Steve Diver recently sent me a piece written by Gil Carandang describing the
Korean Natural Farming methods of harvesting native microorganisms.

I would be interested in knowing if anybody with laboratory access (Dennis
Kemnitz, Elizabeth Fleming, anyone else?) has any interest in verifying
these techniques work to isolate the organisms they say they isolate?

Briefly, some examples of techniques:

1. Wash rice, save rinse water, culture in a dark place with loose fitting
lid for 5 days. Add 10 to 1 milk and let it culture till it separates.
Save the liquid which is said to be pure lacto bacilli. Mix with equal
parts molasses to store, or store in refrigerator.

2. Bury a "plastic lunch box" of one inch of cooked rice plus air space,
covered with metal mesh in very good deep leaf litter (you'll laugh or
cry -- he talks about it being a yard deep). In 2 - 10 days, depending on
temperature, you will have "beneficial forest organisms" growing in the
rice. You then add 1/3 molasses and let it sit for another week to produce
the inoculum. More molasses (in equal parts) is added to preserve it and it
is used at a diluted rate of 1 to 20.

I've been forbidden to try these experiments at home and keep them in the
refrigerator, as my significant other has qualms about my growing
microorganisms in the first place. This is not an entirely bad point of
view to take, though I must say that we are conducting science experiments
daily in the refrigerator when we forget to clean it out...

If you are interested in working with this method to see what it is and what
it does, and want to request this piece from Steve, don't forget he's
working under a grant and needs some basic info from you. There does exist
a translation of a book on these techniques, written and published by the
Korean Natural Farming Association, which I am trying to get my hands on.

Here's the info you need and the contact info for Steve, who is also on this
list:

Request: Indigenous Mocroorganisms: Grow Your Own by Gil Carandang

INCLUDE: Name, Address, Phone, Email, Occupation (preferably
with a few details, like acreage and crops grown)

EMAIL: steved_at_ncat.org

Chris Reid

Buy Remanufactured Ink Cartridges & Refill Kits at MyInks.com for: HP $8-20. Epson $3-9, Canon $5-15, Lexmark $4-17. Free s/h over $50 (US & Canada).
http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=6351
http://us.click.yahoo.com/0zJuRD/6CvGAA/qnsNAA/0PSxlB/TM