[compost_tea] Re: Mesh'd & Micron'd Out...

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 00:19:06 -0000

---Kirk, Many products are sold based on particle size distribution
so needless to say standard testing methods and specs were written to
define everything ASQC, ASTM, buyers and sellers and others could
think of. RO-TAP company makes a piece of equipment used to
determine these numbers and uses standard sieves {some would call
screens}(tyler equivalent or U.S.A. standard testing sieve).When a
standard 20 mesh sieve is used the wire size is accounted for.
Supplier and buyer each test in their lab and as I've said
before, "everybody doesn't get the same results on split samples".
Dennis

 In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Kirk Leonard" <kirk_at_o...> wrote:
> I think this horse is rode and I'm glad I'm not the only one who was
> confused. I'm still prone to some confusion but understand much
better than
> the first time we discussed this.
>
> "Mesh is an inexact measure" my new filter sales guy says today.
Ya. Finally
> got that.
>
> "Microns are an absolute number." Exactly.
>
> "Mesh and microns are inversely related." Got that finally, too.
>
> The size of openings in a filter is what you want to know most,
hmm? Mesh
> values, and mesh tables, vary by manufacturer and material.
Together with
> the opening size and wire or fiber diameter, you can calculate a
mesh using
> twpinc.com's calculator if you want to. In any event, you have to
know two
> of these things to figure out the third.
>
> If you're looking at mesh, you need to know the diameter of the
material to
> figure if it's actually the opening size you think it is. If your
supplier
> gave you a mesh table, presumably you can ignore this problem. If
you have
> a good micrometer or mm ruler and a good eye you could measure it,
since we
> are talking visible range here (unlike most compost tea contents).
>
> The variance among same mesh values and actual opening sizes is
explained by
> the diameter of the material, hmm? Tables I've seen tell me the
variance in
> diameters can be a good bit (even within tables, it seems,
definitely
> between).
>
> If you know a mesh value and opening size, you can even get what
diameter
> material it's made of, too.

<><><><<<<>That's the main point I think. Dennis

Hey, we can get fancy here... Dennis' is
> definitely a chunky filter, I'd guess.
>
> I'm still curious what you paid $67 for, guy. Sounds like it might
be
> stainless or monofilament? Formed? Framed?

<><<>Kirk my previous in line filter plugged and had no coarser
screens available so I went to another filter(housing) which offers
larger opening screeens. I decided to size filter with nozzle.
screeen is stainless.

 Sorry, though, don't think
> you're gonna get very many 6.35mm X 1.5875mm critters through a
1.2mm filter
> (which is probably fine, anyway... all we need to do is lodge them
live,
><><<<><><>Now you tell me!!!!!!!!!

What do you mean, "lodge them live"?

whatever size, and most in tea are smaller, right?). Maybe they could
> slip-slide through sideways occasionally, depends how thick or
slithery they
> are, I suppose...
>
> I gotta say how ironic it is to be struggling with openings in
microns and
> meshes in inches. I mean, I can really work easily with a measure
of
> .000039 inches... huh? "Mesh" seems to be some kind of industrial
> "standard" that never became one,

Kirk,It is an "industrial" standard for sieves and perhaps this is
where all the specifics came from relative to filters. Dennis

 other than the rule of thumb that says

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511