Re: [compost_tea] brewing native microbes

From: Jeff Lowenfels <jeff_at_gardener.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:36:01 -0800

Hey Clay, love Perth.

Let's start with brewer recommendations: Unless it is Sunday, we are not su=
pposed to advertise. My advice would be to look at some of the more active =
members on the list and contact them privately to as if they have suggestio=
ns. The tea manual lists addresses and all have websites. Ask for tests. As=
k for the names of a few users. Or ask again on Sunday!

Next, a heater is not necessary in a small brewer because you can brew insi=
de. By small I mean 10 gallons and under. In Perth? Heck, who needs to brew=
 inside!

If you make compost from local materials and include a few handfuls of the =
duff layer from under the plants before the land is cleared, you will clear=
ly inoculate your compost with some of the natural microbiology. I am sure =
Dr. Elaine has a much more complete answer!

Are you referring to mycorrhizal fungi? This is a topic we should cover on=
 this list, IMHO.

Cheers,

Jeff