[compost_tea] Mycorrhizae

From: The Grahams <grahams_at_open.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 07:26:39 -0700

For what it is worth...I am experiencing a lot of frustration attempting to
find useful information on specific use of Mycorrhiza!

As posted here more than once I grow native and less common perennials
primarily in field beds but do some container growing. I have been in
contact with most of the suppliers/manufacturers and they have been very
willing to suggest that their product(s) will work for me (partly or mostly
because the literature is clear that Mycorrhiza is a reality with some 90%
of all plants), BUT when asked for specific references/data for the plants I
grow (or even similar applications) I have come up with blanks. While I
appreciate that the research has been done in relation to COMMERCIAL crops I
RESENT the inference that the results are therefore applicable to my
situation. So far I have to accept the "GOSPEL", vague non-specifics and
pay the price for the product.

So, I have attempted some small scale controlled applications and so far
have been unable to detect any significant benefit with my situation. (I
realize that we are working with organisms that normally can not be seen
with unassisted vision or testing, BUT the literature is pretty emphatic
that increases plant health and success is obvious when Mycorrhiza are
"working").

To Ice the Cake, yesterday I received a flyer from one major firm in the
business offering "financial rewards" (free product up to a value of $500)
for testimonials...

Trying to learn in Salem.

Thanks for your patience all.

Russ

--
Russell Graham - Purveyor of Plants - grahams_at_open.org - Zone 7 - Salem,
Oregon

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511