[compost_tea] Chloramines

From: George and Paulette Mouchet <geomouchet_at_QNET.COM>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 15:06:07 -0700

I know we talked about this before. Searching the archives is a problem
for me so I'm going to ask again.

What is the effect of chloramines on critters in finished tea? In other
words, you've made the tea with clean water (no chlorine, no chloramines).
 Now you are going to add some water to the finished tea and apply this
"extended" tea to your plants pronto. If this water that you use to extend
the concentrated tea contains chloramines, how much of an effect will it
have on the critters in the tea? They concentrated tea and the "tainted
water" won't be together for very long because they will shortly be on the
plant/soil.

Can you counteract some of the negative impact of the chloramine water by
"extending" your tea with less water and applying more critters per square
foot?

And as long as we're on this subject... How do the critters on the leaves
and soil react to being watered with chloramine tainted water? The average
homeowner is not going to remove the chloramines from their water before
watering their lawns.

Obviously watering with chloramine tainted water can't be good, but how bad
is the damage in the long run?

Paulette