[compost_tea] Fruit Club Update

From: Judi Stewart <js_at_olympus.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:29:10 -0800

I put out the fresh banana bread and hot coffee on the table at the tea
house.
This is the last time we'll be making compost tea as a group this
year. We've now grown to over 100 family memberships and more than
1/3 of us use compost tea. This time, we're making 500 gallons in two
batches and every drop has someone's name on it.

One member, Jim, came over Friday to help me set up the brewer. He
wanted to see how we make compost tea and the ingredients used because
he's going to make his own 50 gallon brewer.

Jim said he and his wife moved into their house 15 years ago. Among the
trees
on the property, there was this particular pear tree. Every year it
produces
pears, scabby pears. He also said that the leaves curl. The pears were

about 4 inches long. This year he put compost tea on that tree. He had
no
scab, no leaf curl, pear size increased 50%, and the canopy was
loaded with fruit. He doesn't know if he should credit the dry summer
or the
compost tea. But in 15 years, he thinks there must have been other dry
summers, so he's leaning towards the tea.

I'm used to skeptics in the group. A group this size can't be
without them. But I don't have to say a word any longer. I just smile.
Now that the season is over, there are so many members sharing their
"success stories." I'm just thinking (worrying) of what I have to do
early next
spring before the apricots bud out.

Judi
BobOLator 250 gal.