[compost_tea] Daylily Rust & Compost tea

From: Scott Alexander <daylily_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 07:06:28 +1000

I thought the group might enjoy a bit of light reading from a happy CT user
who was motivated by my ezine article about CT and how i was experimenting
with it to suppress daylily rust.

Scott Alexander
daylily_at_bigpond.com

I quote:-
Secondly, I wanted to share my experiences with compost tea with you since
you so kindly returned my phone call so many months ago.

When I spoke with you we were still spraying fungicides to control the rust.
This one act alone was bringing us all down. Not only is the stuff
wretchedly expensive but (as we all know) it doesn't kill the rust and in
fact, in my opinion, is very harmful to the plants. After talking with you
on the phone and you so generously sharing your experiences with rust, the
people and the tea I was finally convinced that going organic was the only
way to go. As I needed to do a fair amount of research on the compost tea
and what would work for us I decided to experiment mainly on our veggie
garden. Just with my fooling around with a five gallon bucket of the stuff
improved my garden immensely. This convinced me to go bigger and try it on
certain beds of daylilies. The improvement in some varieties was immediate
while others, who I believe were brought down by the rust and the spraying,
took a little longer to show progress. At this date some of my worst
affected plants have improved significantly and with another month or so of
intense tea spraying will show little sign of rust. Plant size and health
is slowly being returned. The plants were under assault from all fronts.
Anyway, I graduated from one five gallon bucket to two buckets and so forth
until I'm where I am today with two confiscated 30 gallon rubbish bins. I
plan to steal our aluminum can recycle bin this weekend to add to the
collection. Mum says the garage sounds like there's a witch about brewing
up all kinds of potions while the aquarium aerators bubble away.

I think I have been able to find most of the ingredients you mentioned in
your e-zine article. I have also just purchased Dr. Ingham's Compost Tea
Brewing Manual and have had my nose stuck in it for a couple of days now.
I have signed up to attend our local XXXXXX Organic Farmers Assoc. meeting
next month where there are supposed to be folks from Growing Solutions
giving talks about their compost tea brewing machines etc.
I still have alot to learn but for the first time in a couple of years I
feel confident that things will work out. When I spray the tea, I'm happy
knowing I'm doing the plants, the planet, me and my family good.

I have also gotten into worms as a natural progression it seems........I now
have 8 worm bins going and am expecting a women from XXXXX who has a
vermicompost farm there to come visit us next week. Soooo exciting! Thank
you so much for giving me the courage to give it a try. I'm only just
beginning but I can see remarkable progress already and know that it can
only get better the better I get.

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511