[compost_tea] Re: Begginer help

From: enoc2222 <enoc2222_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 01:22:11 -0000

Hi Stuart
 Right now i have some of the earth tea mix's they ahve made but my
dad wants me to see if i can make my own after we use up all the mix
also the mix is expensive and i would have to pay to get more
i think it's like $8.50 for each batch of tea
On the oxygen meter i found 3 meters for under $100 on ebay so i
migth be able to get one of those or i use the bottle test you
mentioned bellow
i will be using worm casting because i do not have enugh room in our
yard to make compost(also my dad wants me to use worm actings and the
earth tea guys said to use it to(maybe i could feed alfalfa to the
worm:-)
LMK
thanks
Oliver

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Stuart Baxter" <stu.baxter_at_v...>
wrote:
> Hi Oliver
>
> From one beginner to another :o}........
>
> Every time I think I'm up to speed with Compost Tea I find out that
there's another variable. For that reason I would advise that you use
earth tea products or their advice on additives because they will
have been tested. When you try your own recipes it looks like you
will need a $500-ish Dissolved Oxygen meter and possibly extra air to
maintain aerobicity at 6 parts per million if brewing a full load.
Alternatively you could test brew small lots in a bucket+air, put a
cupful in a large-ish clean sealed (plastic) bottle and let it stand
for 24 hours. When you carefully crack the seal if it smells 'orrible
it means it went anaerobic and is fit for wasteland only.

> I had a quick look at alfalfa tea; apparently does wonders for
roses, on its own. But it did say it ferments and stinks which makes
it anaerobic. Why not use alfalfa in your compost heap for inclusion
in your recipe?

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511