[compost_tea] Re: Different kinds of soil tests - SFI and NPK

From: hi_yield1 <hi_yield1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:08:34 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "chriscreid" <reidchris_at_e...>
wrote:
> Eileen Calvanese said:
>
> I took our tests out for the last three years
> > and started to compare - well - some areas were better but not
> across the board -sometimes numbers increased but in other areas we
> saw little or no improvement -sometimes the numbers went down(!)
(we
> had about 50 or so samples taken throughout the park and have been
> monitoring these areas each year since 2001) In some areas we had a
> significant increase in protazoa counts and in others a drop. >>>>>
>
> -but if the soil wasn't that great to begin with or
> > there are other factors in play (i.e. environmental) it's going
> to take time to see improvement -and I don't think tea alone is
> going to do it additions of Organic matter and good cultural
> practices are al so necessary, too.
>

> Chris writes,
> How much control do you have over how the site is used? If you
> apply tea today, it rains, and tomorrow somebody plays soccer all
> day on the wet site, a lot of compaction could kind of screw up the
> aerobic conditions in the soil. I am just posing this scenario so
> we can consider where actions taken by others could be diminishing
> the impact of your actions with the tea. My factoid for the week
is
> that 80 per cent of the damage from compaction in the garden
happens
> the first time you walk on it or do something that compacts it.
> Maybe true, maybe not, don't know how to figure out if or when
> that's operative, but a pretty sobering thought.
>
> I'm making up these questions to try to understand the situation
> better -- they may not be the best questions, so all you folks with
> more experience who see what are the critical factors here, please
> feel free to suggest other areas for consideration, okay?
>
> Chris Reid

Hi-Yield says,
Get real Chris! It's a PARK. People go to our parks to walk run and
play. It's not a RAISED BED park. It's outdoors it will rain at some
point and time. If CT microbes are that sensetive they should be keep
in the bucket.
If lawn care and landscape folks are trying to justify to a customer
that it will take 3 to 4 years before they will see real results using
just CT with all of the associated cost. Then you have just lost
another customer!! It has to be cost effective with fairly fast
results. Small amounts of fast acting fertilizers organic or chemical
need to be kept in your program. Foilar fungicides are still sometimes
the only way to keep certain diseases at bay. Commercial growers can't
absorb 3 to 4 years of losses, waiting for something to happen.
Moderation is the key. Remember some organic substances are very toxic
when used improperly. Whenever a problem arises it's usually because
of over usuage of a certain product. Tearing apart the equilibrium
that should exists if all tools in the tool box were considered and
used.
Excuses masquerading as questions don't help!!
Take care Hi_Yield1

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511