[compost_tea] compost tea a pseudoscience?

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:37:58 -0500

Ted Peterson said:

"brewing is still a little like pseudoscience as opposed to hard science
because there are so many little understood variables."
***

PSEUDOSCIENCE
Pronunciation: s`oodows'Iuns

WordNet Dictionary

  Definition: [n] an activity resembling science but based on fallacious
assumptions

  See Also: alchemy, astrology, fallacy, false belief, star divination

****

reply: Probably that word does not convey the idea of an emerging body of
knowledge, being explored with little outside funding but in a way that
attempts to build that body of knowledge on objective observations and
testing. I also don't know how to describe a group of scientists,
professional and amateur horticulturists working together on a project such
as this list represents.

TED SAID:
Let's say it's a developing science that uses some scientific method for
validation of a process not totally understood.

reply: A thought: Maybe we could say that science is not science because
of how far along in the process of "finding answers" a particular inquiry
is; it's science because of the method used.

And, we're going to end up closer to answers with scientific skepticism (a
skepticism borne out of an objective search for answers) than either
hosannas or brickbats. Either can reflect lack of scientific approach to
gathering facts, and examining them without a particular conclusion already
reached (tea is wonderful, tea is awful).

I hope that if I ever search for a new planet with my backyard telescope, I
will not in so doing discredit the science of astronomy...

I love good questions and scientific skepticism from people who are here to
learn. My first impulse is to avoid exclusion and limiting groups only to
those who fit the mold. I have learned that sometimes, when poeple are not
here to learn, the result can be productive and counterproductive and each
of us must decide whether in balance one outweighs the other.

Ted, as far as I'm concerned, your skeptical questions and observations are
welcome. Please don't sit and bite your fingernails off as you read posts
that you feel aren't skeptical enough, and I hope you will raise questions
about areas you think need to be explored. I think I learn more by asking
good questions, and not accepting what is "known" as the Last Best and Only
Answer, and I appreciate it when other people do the same.

When people come to me with skeptical questions about something I have come
to believe, I note that I like to have them asked in a way that is not
offputting or denigrating or insulting. It makes it easier to reconsider my
point of view, and to hear them out. I actually think the recent
difficulties have more to do with the manner in which the list is being
addressed than the fact of skepticism. I have had periods of great nail
biting and deciding how to respond on this list when the hosannas were too
thick and heavy for my taste. When people learn that there are sacred cows,
they stop exploring those issues or challenging those people. And we all
lose if we are really up to advancing what we know about using compost tea
and not furthering anyone's commercial agenda.

As my landscape design professor used to say, "Keep looking. Don't settle
on a quick solution. There is always, always a better way."

Chris Reid

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511