Re: [compost_tea] Matt's CT Recipe

From: Autumn Scott <autumn_at_olympus.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:01:52 -0800

Jeff,
I'm curious why you state that the Ryan's tea "meets the standards", when
the "desired range" on the SFI reports for Active Fungal Biomass is 2-10?
Ryan's tea's Active Fungi was only 1.44.

Ryan, I've really appreciated you sharing your information in so much
detail for us to think about. I wish I knew the answer! What results does
the gardener get with comfrey that she is so pleased with?
                         Autumn Scott

At 08:22 AM 11/26/2003 -0900, you wrote:
>Ryan,
>
>Nice test and report.
>
>I cannot remember if you activated your compost/vermi before you made
>your tea? If not, I am quite sure activation would increase your fine numbers!
>
>You asked some questions. Here are my opinions!
>
>Are two pounds enough for a 30 gallon brew. I think so judging by your
>test results. The amount depends, in part, on the kind of brewer, but more
>important on the compost/humus you start with.
>
>Insoluable humic acid and rock dusts are great fungal foods. I could never
>figure out why it isn't better to add it to the compost, however.
>
>As for corn gluten, How does the corn gluten work as an activator in your
>compost? That is one good way to see if it is a good fungal food. Not all
>fungi will go for it if it is, but if you don't see mycleium, I would
>question its value versus other things you are using. I wonder, too, how
>its use impacts germination. Have you tried? Isn't corn gluten applied in
>some parts of the country as a pre emergent?
>
>As for Molassas (and other sugars), I never use them when I want teas with
>good fungal numbers and seem to always end up with adequate bacterial
>numbers. Obviously, anyone trying for better fungal numbers should
>consider nixing the sugars.
>
>As for how many ingrediants are too many, that is anyone's call. I am a
>big believer in using as few as possible and have my recipes down to three
>ingrediants. It may be that one or two of the items in your recipe are
>producing all the results and so the additionals are over kill. Still the
>results are in and you have a tea that meets the standards!
>
>As for the comfrey, is it gathered when it is green and dried? Is it go in
>green or brown? Is it like hay? Might be a great protozoa food, but I
>doubt it had any impact on fungal growth in the tea. This is the kind of
>thing I would put into the compost.
>
>Just my two cents! Thanks for sharing your information!
>
>cheers,
>
>Jeff
>
>Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cejqogr/M=267637.4116732.5333197.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1707418612:HM/EXP=1069953702/A=1853619/R=0/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178356&partid=4116732>3b73ee.jpg
>3b747a.jpg

>compost_tea-unsubscribe_at_yahoogroups.com

3b73ee.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: 3b73ee.jpg)

3b747a.jpg
(image/jpeg attachment: 3b747a.jpg)