[compost_tea] Re: Hay hay

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:23:49 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "chriscreid" <reidchris_at_e...>
wrote:
> --- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
>
> > So, brown stuff, right? The plants went senescent (dormant) in
> the field,
> > and were harvested. That material usually has lots and lots of
> protozoa on the
> > stems and crowns.
>
> I need some help from farmers here. I thought hay was cut green
and
> THEN allowed to dry before baling,

><><><><><><><>That is correct Chris whether it be prairie hay,
alfalfa or any other "hay" cause baled green it becomes very "moldy"!
So the question becomes, Do you acquire this brown hay after it
browns after the first frost? Or do you mow it green and bale after
it dries? Dennis

 but that straw was the brown and
> represented the stalks of harvested oats (for example) that are
dry,
> and THEN cut.

<><><><Oats, barley and wheat straw would fit the definition except
it is not considered hay by many and doesn't turn brown for several
months of weathering. Dennis

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511