Re: Salts (Was Re: [compost_tea] How to add inorganic nutrients)

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:33:57 -0800 (PST)

Ted, Lithium is not just for mentally ill. It is for all of us. Some areas of Texas have high lithium in the water. Typically 5 to 25 mg per day ingestion from the water. The criime and drug problems in those areas is significantly lower than in other areas of Texas. Dr Johnathn Wright reports research that shows 5mg Lithium / day ( available from some health stores) may prevent from minor to serious mental problems from kids to oldies. Stuff like alcohal - drug- sugar cravings, ADS, Alzimers, Depression, Parkinsons. Probably you get Lithium if the soil and microbes in the soil deliver it to the plants you eat. Just another reason for ACT. wish it is in the compost. Probably one of many essential minerals Bob

Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net> wrote:As far as I can tell, it is impossible to tell whether your compost has the microbes needed to deal with salt unless you specifically tailor your compost to do so and get it tested. We are not looking for salt-eating microbes anyway. What we are looking for are microbes the plant can work with that will help the plant be more salt tolerant.

The prospect of salt-eating microbes is interesting. If there is such a thing, I hope they never gets into the oceans. Since we are salt water, they would be rather harmful to us also. There are many types of salts in our systems and we need even the trace amounts of rare salts found there. As I understand it Lithium, as used for some psychotics, is also a salt. I would hate to think that all these people who find their symptom aleviated through Lithium are at risk by salt-fixing/eating microbes. This is something I will have to research because it is knowledge of which I am unaware. I didn't think there was any solution to salt build up in soil other than drenching the soil and diluting the salt. Interesting.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth