Re: [compost_tea] Some fungi info

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:51:34 -0800

Elaine:

Ok, now I'm mad. I got the following quote from:

http://www.qub.ac.uk/fungi/Level1/mcb106/lect5/def.html

      Hypha(e) Filamentous structure which exhibits apical growth and which=
 is the developmental unit of a mycelium

Now, if the hyphae is the developmental unit, is it also the fungus? I cou=
ld read this that the mycelium develops from the hyphae or that the myceliu=
m is a name given to a collection of hyphae. In other words, the mycelium =
defines structure of the hyphae not that the hyphae are the roots of the my=
celium. The hyphae are not the genesis of the fungi but are the fungi and =
the mycelium defines the structure. Is that correct? So if I see hyphae, =
I have fungi?

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth