Re: [compost_tea] worm castings

From: Steve Bridges <kimas_at_texasgrown.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:47:12 -0600

Hi Jimmy, glad your back in action!
The wormcastings are still viable and good to use.... at least the top layer
of the castings are still aerated, I would think. If no water has
accumulated in the barrels, causing anearobic conditions in the bottom of
the barrels, then the whole batch is still worthy of tea!

Here is what I would do....go ahead and use the castings as you would for
tea, but with the rest, do the following,,,build yourself some wormbeds,
with an appropriate mix of ingredients, and use the castings to inoculate
the beds with the worm eggs that will come from the wormcastings,,,and then
pull from that bed for your future use in making tea,,,you will be creating
the conditions to grow your own wormcastings,,,no more $$$ outlay!
***Where we are located, use some peanut hulls from the Lee County peanut
people as part the the mix. Peanut hulls are supposed to grow great fungal
threads in compost. I don't know this for sure yet, but Jay Mertz swears by
the use of peanut hulls and they're growing great fungal threads,,,,will be
doing some testing of this in spring.

I know you're using your tea on pasture, that being grass, which prefers a
bacterial dominance. But for most general uses, it always good to strive for
the fungal, the bacterial is easy if you've got a decent compost which you
do with your wormcastings, and the let the plant and microbes choose what
they need.

Looking forward to seeing you!
Steve Bridges
Kimas Tejas Nursery
ps. Kucinich is the only real alternative to the status quo!
www.kucinich.us