[compost_tea] what favors what

From: Gail Raby <graby_at_midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:51:07 -0600

Quote/Clip: Grasses favor bacterial tea. Woody plants favor more fungal
tea.

The following has been quoted many times on this forum--along with some
other plant
favorites, primarily veggies if I remember correctly. I do not remember
whether anyone has stated the preferences for the following and would
appreciate knowing about them.

1. Annuals & tender perennials (typical bedders found in nurseries every
spring
        eg: marigolds, impatiens, torenia, cuphea, coleus, wandering jew,
nasturtiums, etc.)

2. Tropicals (typical nursery fare for patio containers and as bedders
        eg: Mandevilla, alamanda,

3. Herbaceous hardy perennials such as daisy, phlox, salvia, yarrow,
german/sibrian/
         lousiana./japanese iris, daylilies, etc.

4. Woody ornamental Vines (mostly hardy, some not) such as clematis,
wisteria,
         carolina jasmine, etc. Being woody, seems like they would follow
the above
          statement that "woody plants favor a more fungal tea" -- true??

Would the general preference be genus or specie specific, or can a more
general statement
be made based on above given categories?

Also, I would like to know if and how greenhouse growers on this list use
compost tea in
the greenhouse with commercial potting mixes (such a promix--plain or
amended with
other materials) and if they spray it on seedlings or larger greenhouse
plants. Would
commercial media in gallons, 4" pots & smaller, or seed flats be able to
support critter
life for any lenth of time?

Thanks,
gail