[compost_tea] Re: CACT and Idea for non-tested brewing approach

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:41:10 -0500

Thanks for the response, Elaine.

Bob Norsen and I discussed this further, and also Kirk Leonard very
patiently helped think it through. We could still use your help in
understanding a few points.

I think where we left it (jump in here if I'm wrong, Kirk) is with these
thoughts and questions:

1. Still the best way not to go anaerobic is to remember: LESS IS MORE
(food that is) and a good recipe, plus colder water.

2. The success of this method depends in part on how badly overfed the
microbes are. Way too much food and it is unlikely to do the job without
dumping out part of the tea and refilling with de-gassed water.

3. I think the next place we have to be careful with this idea is the
pump's capacity. What happens to a pump that's on the brink of #gals it can
handle when you top off the brew with more water? In terms of oxygen in the
brew, does the extra water slow the rate of addition of oxygen? Moral:
Have extra capacity. Don't brew at the top of your pump's capacity.

4. When it's time to apply the tea, do we need to make any adjustments in
gal per acre? We were trying to understand what adding water actually
did -- I think Elaine would say "exit the notion of dilution" because we
added space and oxygen for more microbes to grow, and helped keep some
existing microbes from going inactive. However, the number of microbes per
gallon is likely to be less with this added water, depending on how far into
the brew the additional water was added. Should we adjust gal per acre
accordingly by simply subtracting the water added from the water we would
normally use as the carrier for the application? (EXAMPLE: if we were going
to apply 5 gal per acre, and had to add 195 gals of water to be able to
spread it on an acre at the 5 gal/acre rate,

Chris Reid

Yahoo! Groups Links