RE: [compost_tea] necessary to add carbs or sugar after applying a compost tea?

From: Ryan, Matthew <matthew.ryan_at_rodaleinst.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:15:07 -0500

Hello Mark,

Please excuse my assumptions. The letter "codes" refer to B=bacteria,
F=fungi, and tc=total coverage. This is in reference to a leaf bioassay
in which a portion of the leaf is sprayed with a fluorescent stain, and
living bacteria and fungi will take up this stain and glow under a
epifluorescent light. It is a method used to examine living
microorganisms. The numbers refer to the percent of leaf surface
covered by F or B. Understand that this is not absolute % coverage. It
actually refers to the number of squares on a grid that contain these
glowing microorganisms.

Please forgive me if this explanation is less than accurate.

This is just my general understanding of the SFI leaf organism bioassay,
and I'm sure Elaine could explain this much better than I have, but you
should get the general idea.

-Matt