Re: [compost_tea] Brew tests

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:15:06 -0800 (PST)

Mike for your 45 to 50 g tank, fill with water, If the barrel is shallow let the brewer lay as flat as it will diagonally in the barrel. "windows facing sisdeways". Add a mix of
1 gallon of compost, 1 quart of Kelp. 1 cup of oat flour, 2/3 cup Humic acid. Brew
for 6 hours. Remove the extractor, put aerator to the bottom of the tank. You may need to weight the "stick". Best put a 18" of 1/4" iron rod inside the aerator "stick".

Continue for a total of 16 to 24 hours. ( start with 75 to 80 dF water. ) Bob

Mike Bosko <mjbosko_at_jmtsystems.com> wrote:
That helps, thanks. Sounds like I need to work on better aeration with the brewer, or better methods with my aeration. The brewer is of your approved models, so it must be something I'm doing... go'figure.

After writing that last message, I got to thinking that I should at least, at this point, send in a sample of my compost for testing. I'll look into that.

But, I'm curious, what about the procedure I wrote about using, prior to a SFI tea test? Would you consider that a viable means of testing until I get a batch that I think will work? I'm applying the tea now to ground that really doesn't matter much at this point. A test spot of timothy and, well, weeds.

Once I get this all figured out with my brewer, I want to get a bio test on my soils to start matching a brew according to those needs - but I need to figure out how best to brew first. Baby steps -with monopoly money first - then the real stuff. ; ) ???

Thanks, -m