[compost_tea] Re: Mushrooms in lawn a good sign?

From: hi_yield1 <hi_yield1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 04:04:34 -0000

Jeff,
I will ask you this very same question I asked you months ago, are
they poisonous mushrooms? Lots of folks have pets that grab hold of
anything and everything in the yard. I strive for a lush green yard
void of mushrooms and moss. Maybe to much fungi is not a good thing?
Unless your running a mushroom farm? Where's the balance. Take care
Hi_Yield1

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff_at_g...>
wrote:
> << That brings to mind a question. Does the presence of toadstools
> and mushrooms in a lawn give any indication there is fungi in the
> soil. We are getting more and more every summer. I take that as
an
> indication the soil is staying moist and cool in the shade provided
> by the 3 inch tall grass.>>
>
> Yes, mushrooms in the lawn are usually a good sign of a healthy lawn
soil foodweb. Mushrooms are the fruiting body of fungi and lawns
surely need fungi. Hopefully what you are looking at are mychorrizal
fungi associated with the lawn and the trees in and around the lawn.

> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

Yahoo! Groups Links