[compost_tea] Re: Compost tea and mushrooms on lawn

From: hi_yield1 <hi_yield1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 05:10:21 -0000

Jeff,
Thanks for your reply. Take care Hi_Yield1.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Lowenfels" <jeff_at_g...>
wrote:
> There is no question that I have had many more types and numbers of
mushrooms in my lawns since applying compost teas and microbe food (I
no longer use the antiqued "organic fertilizer") and I have several
acres to which many applications of all sorts of teas have been
applied.... No doubt many of these are 'poisonous.' I have to admit
that before I was familiar with the soil foodweb, it would have
spooked me a bit. Now I look at mushrooms as fascinating organisms and
reveal in the diversity that are appearing whereas before there would
be a few of one type and then only along a rotting underground root or
bit of construction debris. And, by the way, I am trying to remember
when any, but an inquisitive teenager or college student went to the
hospital for eating one.

> You begin to sense the power of compost tea when you can change the
composition of the mushroom population in your yard. And you are
right, Hi-yield, there is a balance. Too much fungi and the lawn won't
do well. Me? I am going to ease back on applications a bit this year!

> Of course some of these mushrooms are poisonous. If you are
concerned Hi-Yield,that children might eat poisonous mushrooms in your
yard, then by all means take precautions by mowing, raking or keeping
them off the lawn! However, if you have birch trees in Alaska, there
will be an association with our beautiful, but supposedly deadly,
Amanita muscaria. if you are to have a healthy tree.

> Cheers,
>
> Jeff

Yahoo! Groups Links