[compost_tea] ACT lab numbers WASRe: Aerators

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 21:55:25 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "kevin john richardon"
<kmagic_at_b...> wrote:

Hey Kevin thanks for the info. Do you know what the units are on the
AB,TB,AF,TF,HD,T,F,C and ON? I have questioned this before and
didn't get a total grasp on the subject. Like the TB and TF comes to
xxx ug/ml.That's similar to density of a solid material as xxxg/ml.
I've seen bacT reported as xxx cfu's but not ug/ml before coming here
to ACT "land". How does the lab get density of microbes? Are they
actually weighed in a volumetric container as the units indicate?
Thanks in advance. Dennis Kemnitz

PS And what was the compost data? ie what did you start with in terms
of total bacteria and TF?Dennis

Kirk,

> You really aughta check this:
>
> 65AB 11,008TB 19.7AF 102TF 3.5HD 17F 14A 1C 0N
>
> SFI Compost Tea Foodweb Analysis #97815
>
> This was produced as you suggest below. The container was a 60G
barrel. Pretty whimpy!?

> Are the numbers above the most life that 3.7cfm can support? As I
recall, DO during this brew flirted with the prescribed lower limit.
A DO meter of high quality would be necessary to determine this.
Though I believe that this is the info we really are talking about.

> Not air/Gallon. Air/Biomass.

That's right!! you have living organisms wanting and using that air
not the water.
Dennis

 Do Protozoa or Nematodes consume more air in proportion to their
total biomass? Less? These are reported as numbers per mL in the
lab analysis report.

>How do you count the protozoa and nematodes in a ml of solution.
Look at 6 fields on a scope, average and multiply by MF?Dennis

 Temp probably could influence this. And of coarse I can only
speculate as to the efficiencey with which the aerators are diffusing
O2 into the water.

> Yet, the numbers above have hardly any Protozoa and no Nematodes.
So, can we say that, ballpark 11110 ug/mL (TB+TF above)is how much
biomass 3.7cfm will sustain?

> ?At that temp and with your specific B and F.!!!!!!!!Dennis

Have you seen this system in action? It roils.

> ~Kev
>

> What's the diff, Kirk?
>
> Kevin - One is in the extractor, sized well for the tube; the same
thing in
> an open
> tank is not sufficient, imo. Sure the air's going in but the
distribution
> dynamics are real different. I think you need more than a single,
small
> nozzle to aerate a
> full container.
>
> -- Kirk

~-->
> Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
Lexmark
Canada.