Re: [compost_tea] Re: pre-activation results

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 11:25:35 -0400
Hi Mike Bosko -

If someone dared to answer or provide their experience to the list, they were in danger of being held up for ridicule, verbal attack and unpleasantness.

Why would anyone share their experiences?  That's why so few people are answering questions.

Jeff and I continue to answer, and continue to be verbally abused.  Jeff gets told he can't tolerate being challenged, I get attacked in practically every e-mail Ted puts out, Bob get hammered by those of you who want him to not mention his machine ever again, Kevin gets told he's a..... well, I think you all saw that e-mail.

I admire Jeff's fortitude in dealing with the un-called for criticism.  He has put out data, he has given of his time and energy.  His experience should be respected.  He doesn't put down others.  And he sure could, given the disrespect coming from out here.

When sharing an experience that doesn't fit what other people have seen, be respectful of the previous experience.  Don't make the statement that compost tea doesn't work on something, when other people have seen that it does work on that something.

Ted negated many people's experiences, in a very nasty way, because their results did not match HIS experience.  Ted's attitude was that no one else could possibly be seeing slug control, because he wasn't seeing slug control.

Ted's backyard is the only place on earth that real tea results could possibly be experienced?  All the rest of us don't count?

That is really disrespectful.

My experience tells me that tea is perfectly capable of dealing with slugs IF you have the organisms in the tea to deal with the slugs.  Judi is correct to point out the nematode connection.  Thomas pointed out the yucca connection.  Both got attacked.

What, there's more than one mechanism for control operating at the same time?  Oh, my!

Mother Nature acts with multiple mechanisms of control all the time.  That's normal.  Addition of yucca feeds the organisms that attack and decompose slugs.  Certain nematodes attack and consume slugs.  Get both working for you.

We had great discussions on this list about different sets of information and experiences, until Hi-Yield, Linda what's her name, wormwomantwo? and Ted came along.  Their nastiness shut discussion down, because who wants to be attacked as being wrong when all that was being attempted was sharing of information?

I, for example, don't want to listen anyomore to Ted's constant "Elaine said blah-blah, and I think she doesn't know what she is talking about", when Elaine never said blah-blah in the first place!

If you want to express a different point of view, if you want to share experiences, do it without put downs of what other people have contributed.

We need a committee of people to review e-mails from people who deliver put-downs.

Anyone who thinks that another person is exhibiting cruel behavior should ask Jeff to review the questionable e-mail.

If the committee agrees that the e-mail was un-nescessarily nasty, then that person should be spoken to about their nastiness, and all e-mails from them reviewed before being posted.

Even I could be put on the list if I was to start being nasty, negative and unpleasant.  Anyone verbally attacking without solid data to support them should be prevented from posting, and only AFTER the attack wording is removed, could the email be posted.

Different ideas?  Fine, but no attacks, no put-downs, no negativity.

Jeff, you up for this?  Probably would not have to go on for long - people would learn to stop putting-down others, and learn to speak with respect for other's experiences, or they would go away.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY