[compost_tea] Ree Advice and free the snails

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 19:50:51 -0700

Bob, I don't attack your brewers when I could. I know someone who has one =
and he has quit brewing and will not discuss the matter. So please, limit =
your posts to things that are pertinent to brewing. I wish you success in =
building and selling your brewers and I'm glad you are doing well. I have =
seen your brewer and it is a design that I happen to have some difficulty w=
ith. Many people like it so that is good for you. My business practices a=
re not a part of these discussions and I think that from the brewers I have=
 seen from a lot of different manufacturers that been called in to repair o=
r get working correctly that I have a far superior design.

So take what you will. I have a sustainable solution and most people that =
call me are looking for that type of solution. Compost tea and brewing is =
PART of that solution. I offer the brewer and brewing advice for free to g=
et people into the sustainable practice. Gee, it works. I give far more t=
hings away than I sell. I have even been criticized for it. You market br=
ewers. You want to sell brewers. You will do what you need to do to get t=
he sale because that is the nature of selling stuff. I am not in that posi=
tion. The two approaches seem to be working for both of us.

I must be as jealous of you as I supposedly am of Jeff. What a <bleep> was=
te of time. Playing with the snails is much more fun and I acutally learn =
something. Imagine that.

Snails

By the way, my snails are not controlled by the tea so far. They actually =
like it. After my experiment this morning , I took a trash can and put so=
me tea in the little depressions on the bottom. Then I put some snails fro=
m each of the other cans in the can. They all went for the tea. As far as=
 I can tell, they're drinking the stuff. They really like it.

So, here is an experiment for anyone with snails or slugs. I don't have th=
ose big banana slugs just those small grey ones.

Brew some tea and dip some lettuce or spinach or broccoli leaves or somethi=
ng like that and see if the snails or slugs go for the leaves with tea or n=
ot. Use your own recipe or one of the ones from the Compost Tea Brewing ma=
nual or some other place and post your results.

Dinner:

I am getting ready to eat my snails. I will do so tomorrow. I will only e=
at the big ones (When I gathered for the experiment, I got a bunch more and=
 threw them in one can with a bunch of greenery. I will mix them with the =
ones I used for the experiment.) and I will let the babies grow to adulthoo=
d. Then I will eat them. I am going to try something different.

I will boil them, remove the intestinal tract (If you want to do it, there =
is a neat description in "The Joy of Cooking".) then stir fry them in Nuc M=
alm, olive oil, peanut sauce and pepper sauce (It's a Thai product). I wil=
l mix them with sliced green beans, carrots, broccoli, garlic (lots of this=
), bell peppers and spinach. Should be delicious.

Ted Peterson
EW/SOE