Re: [compost_tea] Anaerobic boy crosses over

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 17:12:59 -0700 (PDT)

Welcome Titel - Your use of a 1500 g pond rather than a tank is a change worth thought.

Emptying and cleaning the open air "kettle" will be different. All cleaing water will be pumped out. Can you have a floor drain in the pond to make it easy to pump it all ?

IMO You should be thinknig air driven aeration, air driven extraction not a water pump. A water pump will drive the microbes thru a pump repeatedly. Kill a bunch with each trip. Water pump OK to pump out the ACT but that is just one such trip. Our 1500 brewer uses a 2 or 3 hp regen blower to furnish enough air to keep the DO2 at aerobic levels, extract from the compost and induce circulation.

Titel Ryzhomer <thegoodjob_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I'm brand new to this group and may irritate some with my
ignorrance. As the subject infers, I have been making soil
ammendments fermenting anaerobic microbes utilizing EM. Recently I
have been experimenting with brewing batches of aerobic compost tea.
Some batches have been successful and some not. Success being
ascertained by a clean sweet smell, light amber color and gobs of
persistent foam (yeast?) on the surface. The materials used are;
fresh spring water, 10 liters of worm castings/100 liters of water,
225 ml of fine kelp, 225 ml. of fine rock phosphate, 225 ml. of
pyrophylite clay powder, .75% black strap molasses, a fine mesh poly
bag, a 50 gallon plastic barrel, an aquarium airator and a jet pump.

My next step is to a 1500 gallon homemade plastic lined pond and a
1.5 hp irrigation pump (for brewing and delivery to crops). I am
especially wondering if I can cut back on the amount of molasses I'm
using because at .75% I'm going to use over 9 gallons per batch.
I am having some trouble finding information on the internet,
including the archives of this group, regarding ingredients and
proportions. Should I use powdered eggshell? in the water or in the
bag? I would appreciate any input available to this greenhorn.

Oh ya, about the anaerobic ammendments. I've been having success
combining it with compost tea. Success being ascertained by happy
shiney leaves and spongy (sp?) soil. If I can get my pond system
functional then we can do some real testing over the next couple of
years.

Regards,
Titel

Yahoo! Groups Links