Re: [compost_tea] Re: reduction of grassy"weeds" using ACT

From: Lloyd Charles <lcharles_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:04:18 +1000

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: dkemnitz2000
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 8:34 AM
  Subject: [compost_tea] Re: reduction of grassy"weeds" using ACT

  --- One further item worthy of noting: The grasy weeds lowered the
  yield a bunch where the ACT was not used. This observation was made
  while harvesting wheat and barley off and on the last 12 days. We've
  had rain which caused harvest delays and lowered crop quality. ACT
  was applied only in fall (and only once)several weeks prior to
  planting. Dennis Kemnitz

  I sure think
  you're on the right track with the CATC rig to cover lots of acres in
  a day. Some farmers out here need to spray 100-200 acres per 10-12
  day and spray has to be economical too cause afterall, it takes BIG
  bucks each trip over the ground(fuel,machinery,labor,ACT and
  soilamendments) ...Dennis Kemnitz

  Hi Dennis
              At last !! someone aware of commercial broadacre cropping con=
ditions. How about some more info? We sprayed one fifty acre paddock with t=
ea last season before quitting because it was too dry to be worthwhile (I t=
hought), turned out the only patch we got a decent germination on - we have=
 had serious drought conditions the last two years particularly in the firs=
t half of the season. Multiple trips over wheat country with a sprayrig doi=
ng tea is something outside the economic limits.
              If we only spray 100 acres a day we have had a lousy unproduc=
tive day!!!, we are only small scale in our business but need systems capab=
le of at least 50 acres per hour including turnaround time to be worthwhile=
.
  Would be interesting to compare notes some more .cheers
  Lloyd Charles