[compost_tea] Lime Plus

From: longbranchranch <longbranchranch_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:22:40 -0000
As there has been anumber of post on lime. Here is my understanding
Acording to Albrecht and Reams. I think some of the post have taken
some figures out of text. Albrecht recomendations are vairable as they
relate to the whole soil. The 8000 pounds recomended per acre is for a
30 ME soil. Personaly I have never seen a soil with that much humus.
>From the soil audit you need to consider the soil type ( sand - sandy
lome - clay ) and the organic mater as humus to calculate the cec
number. Example my place is sandy lome with 2% organic matter. On the
cec chart about 1900 pounds per acre of calcuim is recomended. If you
have available compost materals and you are young enough to work
it;God bless you and go for it. A good way to introduce calcuim is to
use oak chips in the compost. Oak bark is very high in calcium.
Some have mentioned using dolomite lime. This is a product that most
agronomist warn against its use. Among other things high (out of
ballance) magnesium will release nitrogen to the air and can have a
unwanted effect on other minerals. As a rule calcuim levels should be
7 times more than magnesium.
For one that does not intend to get a soil audit. Instead of adding
calcium to the compost. I sugest using one of the paramagnetic clays.
They will give the compost good energy levels plus some calcium.
Jimmy Muse

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links