[compost_tea] Re: Re: fungal or bacT dominant plants

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:24:50 -0700
Fung-Bact stuff and a compost tea and sprouts question re-asked...

Doc, it sure seems to me you have enough info to do a little guide on
fung/bact balances for different soils and plants.

> Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:27:37 -0400
> From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
> Subject: Re: Re: fungal or bacT dominant plants

> To the best of our knowldege (ie., reviewing the database), healthy
blackberry and raspberry are in the shrub category, and like the soil on the
fungal side.  Somewhere between 5:1 to 2:1 fungal to bacterial ratios... <
[snip to other posts, all in reply to Dennis] ...

> In general, early successional plant species are very bacterial,
mid-successional grasses are somewhat bacterial dominated, late successional
grasses and  row crops are balanced fungal to bacterial, shrubs are slightly
fungal,  deciduous trees are fairly fungal, and confier old growth extremely
fungal. < ... and

> I would guess that all three species you ask about are fungal dominated,
but the osage would be more slightly fungal, the elm about 10:1, and the
cedar 50:1 <

> OK? <

> Elaine <

Totally ok by me and I get an increasing sense of what plants want by
listening, and it sure seems to me you have enough data to do a little pub
on it, answering often-asked questions for a few bucks?  Wouldn't have to
be fancy, seems to me.

Repeating a question I asked a few days ago that I still think is important:
Does anyone have any experience or know someone who does using compost teas
with sprouts or lettuce or other leafy edible greens?  How do you or they
use it?  Manure or non-manure compost?  Any pre-harvest interval?

-- Kirk

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links