Re: [compost_tea] Tea Ingredients

From: John Stoughton <yooperjon66_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:03:21 -0700 (PDT)

All Good questions,
*My goal is to develop a healthy soil for vegtable prodution in a 60 x 60 area, that is mainly sand loam. I understand tea is not a substitude for oganic matter, but I want to put healthy bacteria into the soil to aid in the digestive process of turning the organic matter into plant foods. Hence the idea of sour milk.
*The Kelp is for the macro / micro plant nutrients as well to build in some cold tolerences, about a 1/2 c per. gal.
*The Greensand and egg shells for calcium and macro / micro nutrients .
*and Compost for bacterial and nutrient support.
 Thanks Jon

soilfoodweb_at_aol.com wrote:
Hi Jon -

Sour milk? Why?

Each component going into your compost, or into your compost tea needs to be understood.

WHY are you adding each thing?

I can tell you waht to add, but then you don't learn WHY you need to add each thing. So, let's make this a learning situation.

Why do you add kelp? How much?

Why would you add ground egg shells? How much?

What organisms do you select for if you put in sour milk? Or fresh milk? What will be the result if you add these food resources?

Would you add an activator to the compost, or to the tea?

What is your purpose in making compost, or tea? Different plants require different conditions in the soil. What are you trying to achieve?

Elaine R. Ingham
Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
Soil Foodweb Institue Cambridge, New Zealand
Soil Foodweb Inc., Hilversum, The Netherlands
Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT