[compost_tea] RE:compost courses

From: Erickson <erickson_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 13:04:34 -0600

Hi Lynton,

I did one of the Lubke's courses in 1994 and it was informative and
practical. However after using there methods (we were commercially
composting about 4000 yards of material per year) we found problems with
the method. First the method of intensive turning was an expensive way
to make compost and cause serious drying of our pile. Then we has to add
large amounts of water.(more expense) All that turning also made it
difficult to get good fungus growing in our piles. In the end we changed
to a bit of turning in the early stages and then just letting the piles
sit, as long as they did not get smelly. Our costs went way down and our
quality went up.

Midwest Bio systems teach course in some modified version of the Lubke
method. You can contact them at www.aeromasterequipment.com

Steve Erickson
Ranui Gardens

www.ranui.com