[compost_tea] Re: Dennis' 24-hour tea

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 00:25:07 -0000
--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Judi Stewart" <js@o...> wrote:
> Dennis, it's very hard to describe to someone what something
smells like
> without having them smell the smell, or to just say it smells like
such
> and
> such.

I agree However, it didn't and still doesn't, have smell of butyric,
acetic, ammonia, putryis(sp), or the other ones mentioned in compost
tea manual or in Elaine's cd's.. And this scope is bringing another
factor in for several reasons, one of which is it doesn't
differentiate anaerobic and aerobic conditions for me cause I'm too
vague on micro morphology and therefore, id of the critters.  Lots
of them can be tentatively id'd (to some extent) on the scope but
I'm not that familiar with them.    Dennis

Until we have developed a tea scratch and sniff test, we have to
> use our own judgment.  There are also variables when it comes to
smell.
> It doesn't go from no smell to stinky without passing through
stages. I
> can only write of my own brewing
> experiences as I haven't been up to smelling too many other teas.
So if
> you think the smell was off, that it didn't smell as nice as it
did when
> it first came out of your brewer, then it might have been starting
on
> its way south.

Yup I think so too. Dennis

I don't know the point at which you call an aerobic tea an anaerobic
> tea.

That practical point may not be defined yet and if so, I'm unaware
of it;like a combination of parameters such as pH,titrable acidity,
dissolved oxygen, CO2, respiration, etc. Thanks for the question
Judi.  I may have called it anaerobic too soon.Dennis

And I don't know what an anaerobic tea looks like under the scope.
> But I think this is something we eventually should all learn to
> recognize, if it
> wasn't so awful to get close to.
>
> Judi

anaerobic.
> > It sure was a neat slide though watching all those short fat
rods
> > cruisin' all around and the protozoa (I'm thinkin' again)
cruisin'
> > around gobblin' up something. Sorry for the false info.
regarding
> > ACT. That explains to some extent why I responded regarding the
> > handling of ACT.
> >                                           Dennis Kemnitz
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor