RE: [compost_tea] new member

From: Pierre-Charles Crozat <pccrozat_at_fastmail.fm>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 10:01:07 +0200

Thank you for your interest.
The machine that we are making is experimental of course. We used the
information from the Compost tea manual (3rd ed.) that we purchased about a
year ago. The compost is free flowing in a container where aeration is
provided as well as a movement of water (pump). A burlap sack acts as a
filter for the pump to protects the mechanism.
Our first batch yielded a CT that was like light green tea in colour. A
fairly thick and "greasy" foam developed and the temperature went up (40?C)
relatively quickly. The compost used was a compost that was at least 2 years
old and that had not heated up. We used nutrients that are well suited for
bacteria.
>From the information that we get from the forum it seems that the results
are extremely difficult to analyse. I don t think that we are at a point
where we want to have the CT analysed and our microscope has a magnification
of x40. anyway it seems that the CT science is far from being exact and that
there is room for small guys like us to make things go forward. Lucky!
We are new to this and feel a bit overwhelmed by the number of factors that
seem to be able to have an influence on the final result. Any advice would
be appreciated.
We are most interested in the exchanges between Ted Peterson and Titel. I
have to say that we feel that our position is closer to Titel's than Ted for
the mere fact that we are new to things and not able yet to have a strict
scientific approach. Our enthusiasm is real though and it seems that there
are very few people who are interested in CT here in France.
Titel's experiences is vey interesting for us because I (Pierre) lived in
British Columbia for many years and I know the climate quite well in the
interior. I feel that this is at least one factor that we understand!
Pierre Crozat