[compost_tea] Storage of viable microorganisms WAS:Re: How do they do it?

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 22:40:15 -0000

--- You can not refrigerate (hold at 40F)a dough piece(excluding
sourdough)  very long if you want to use it for bread and it has no
bio diversity(theoretically). Cheese starter is much the same way
with only one bacterial specie used. Mozzarella is made with two
species and the starter is best when used as soon as it is cooled ie
fresh.There are frozen cultures available.But We tried to have a
certain ratio of rods to cocci and that ratio changed rather
rapidly, ie theoretical biodiversity of 2 in that product and no
frozen cultures like that are available. One specie loved acidity so
therefore thrived as acid developed. Think about the stability of
ACT stored in a warehouse with a  25,000 specie diversity where
phage could be present too.  I have no idea if every bacterial
specie can be destroyed phage.  Dennis Kemnitz

In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb@a... wrote:
> We see significant changes in the biology within 3 to 4 days, even
when
> refrigerated.
>
> Elaine R. Ingham
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Corvallis, Oregon
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Port Jefferson, New York
> Soil Foodweb Institute, Lismore Australia
> Soil Foodweb Institute Cambridge, New Zealand
> Laboratorios de Soil Foodweb, Culiacan, Mexico
> Soil Foodweb Inc., Jerome, Idaho
> Soil Foodweb Inc., South Africa

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Get unlimited calls to