Re: [compost_tea] what impact?

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 02:44:05 -0500
Bill Quinn wrote:

New Zealand grassland farmer are this year been encouraged to apply carbendazin and organosilicone plus another organic solvent (wetting agents) for the control of facial eczema.

He asks:
- what impact will this have on soil fungi?

Tom J, since you are good at doing internet searches, do you have time to do a quick internet search on carbendazin and what it impacts?  Or maybe Bill, you could?

- what length of time will it last in soil?

And check the "half life" of this chemical in soil?

- how soon after would a ACT be safe to apply?

Typically, I would expect within five to seven days, but apply some extra fish hydrolysate to give the organisms a bit extra energy to deal with the chemical.  It depends though on the mode of action of the chemical, and just how long it takes for the compounds to be consumed by the microorganisms in soil.

If I get time, I'll do some internet searching, but I teach all day tomorrow, so time to do internet exploring isn't likely to be something I have. Anyone else able to do the checking?

--
Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor