[compost_tea] Re: protozoans before and after brewing

From: javiermigoyamx <lospilares_at_prodigy.net.mx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:09:17 -0000

Yes Doc, the protozoa I saw at mid brew were more the "vibrating"
kind, they go so fast vibrating that I can`t see more details of
them. What kind of protos can this be (did I flunked the microscope
class?)certainly smaller than ciliates and I would say they move much
faster than the amoebae I have met. In the morning, I see less of
this kind of protos, and more of the "slower" ones.
The machine I use is a BobO, so there is plenty of movement but not
too much, but I do have to underline the fact that at night I take
the extracting unit (compost pipe) out, and just let the aereator
running.
Javier
--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb@a... wrote:
> Just back from ACRES and points east.  The Long Island Organic Turf
show was great!  Wonderful people.  They have some great examples of
organic golf courses from Paul Sachs in upstate New York, and Charlie
Clarke in New Jersey.  It is being done and done successfully.

> Neil Lewis, at the Neighborhood Network on Long Island keeps track
of all this, so contact him for more info.  Chat with Paul Wagner at
the SFI lab on Long Island to get e-mail addresses -
soilfoodwebny_at_a...

> Now, on to protozoa in the tea brew - interesting observation from
Javier about protozoa being higher in number early, and lower later
in the brew.  How many other people find this occurrence?  I'd be
interested in knowing.

> Two possible occurrences -
>   1.  The brew dropped into lower oxygen conditions, and the
flagellates and amoebae suffered.  Ciliates would have been helped.
So you need to observe if ciliate numbers were increased while
flagellates decreased.  Was this the case?

>   2.  A bacterial species started growing that is inhibitory to
protozoa.  In this case, all three groups of protozoa may be harmed,
and the way to deal with it is to find more and different kinds of
soils to add into the compost at the beggining of the composting
process, or add more types of compost to the mix of composts you use
in the compost tea maker.  The point of this is to add some
additional species of bacteria and fungi that will compete with the
problem bacterial species which are negatively impacting the
protozoa.

> Hope this helps -
>
> --
> Elaine Ingham