[compost_tea] Re: Re: Re: Re: non-aerated teas?

From: Kirk Leonard <kirkleon_at_open.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 10:53:02 -0800
Elaine -- Got it.  Look forward to that quiz and beer (and the
conversation:-).

I think there were just two points I was trying to make.  One, it's hard to
do bad things with good compost, and two, non-aerated teas can be good, too,
and not anaerobic.  Seems we agree.  And yes, I understand that maximum
diversity (max food web) is the holy grail of both composts and teas.

A reason I got on this thread is that while you have not said non-aerated
equals anaerobic teas, you have implied that many times.  There is a greater
risk there, but the risk also exists with aerated systems.  "Properly made"
is indeed the principal condition.  As you suggest, I would not use ACT
foods in non-aerated teas, except as "adjuvants," as I understand that
term - something added to a tea just before application, not during the
tea-making period.  I do wonder if fungal foods might be ok, though.

I'd also suggest that the variability of non-aerated teas is not unique.  It
is also an issue right now with aerated teas.  Compost consistency seems to
be key to achieving tea consistency, however you make it.

I feel a need to qualify "non-aerated" for new folks, in case it's not
clear.  "Aerated" as we're using it means air is pumped into the tea tank.
Non-aerated is a bit of a misnomer, because as oxygen in water is used by
microorganisms, the water will take up more oxygen.  Stirring teas will
cause an oxygen exchange, as well, so unless you make tea in a sealed
container there's really no way to make a "non-aerated" tea.

Microorganism foods added to a compost tea will cause oxygen to be used
more, which is why aeration is a good idea if you want to use foods to grow
aerobic critters in the tea.  The ability of water to take up oxygen can be
exceeded with too much oxygen-consuming stuff in it, leading to low or no
oxygen conditions, which is not a good thing.  Right, Doc?:-)

On another note, I haven't ever used non-aerated tea as a foliar spray, but
I've heard some do. Would anyone care to say something about that?

-- Kirk

Yahoo! Groups Links