[compost_tea] Re: Jill Clapperton at a no-till conference.

From: notveryhandy <handy_at_swko.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 02:16:14 -0000

Jeff,
Thanks for your reply.
I don't have to point out why I disagree with her thoughts on the
value of no-till in this short email.  If I did, it would be too long
to read quickly.  I simply asked if anyone knew of her thoughts on
tea or just compost.  Two quick points on why I disagree with her
(there are many others): No-till increases chemical usage.  I am
trying to make a living, not support the chemical companies.
Second,  few people realize that nutrients can stratify in untilled
ground.  I have seen the tests on this but I don't have them in front
of me.  Don't believe me if you like.  Working the soil is good!

So You didn't answer my simple question, but instead gave me a
writing lesson.  Thanks!

BTW, Thanks Tom for the reference!!!!!

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Jeff Lowenfels <jeff@g...> wrote:
> Jon,
>
>   "No-till soils are more biologically active
>   and biologically diverse, have higher nutrient loading capacities,
>   release nutrients gradually and continuously, and have better soil
>   structure than reduced or cultivated soils."
>
> If you disagree with that statement, you need to point out why. She
is
> correct in every regard as far as I am concerned. What she is
saying is
> that you kill the micro and macro biology when you till. She is
right.
> You cut up fungi and thus lose structure. You cut up warms and the
> parts don't generate new worms. You destroy their tunnels and these
> help with water retention and soil structure. Lose biology and you
lose
> nutrient holding capacity, etc, etc.
>
> I don't know Jill Clapperton, but I bet you will walk away
connecting
> more of why you are putting the biology back into your soils with
CT
> and other practices that are not compatible...like rototilling in
most
> instances. I would urge you to go to the talk!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jeff
> Plant a Row in your garden to feed the hungry. Join Plant A Row for
the
> Hungry. Ask me how. www.gwaa.org/Par/index.html

Yahoo! Groups Links