Re: [compost_tea] Re: organic??

From: David Anderson <squtch_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:12:41 -0800
Hi Ron,

I possible simple answer with the compost/vermicompost question is
that it is a lot easier to achieve a higher average quality with the
worms than with a compost pile

My homemade compost is a lot better than any that I buy locally, and I
am not the most contientious about making a perfect batch.

With minimal effort, my worms make much better compost than my pile
produces, and I don't have to worry about such things as balancing the
C:N ratio. Heck, they do a very good job of using up my extra high
carbon materials.

And the quality of local commercial castings is as good or better than
what is produced at home. I will continue to make both home made
compost and castings, but I will only pay for castings.

Have you considered using a mix of compost/castings when you make your
tea? The idea being to go for even more biological diversity.

I personally go with whatever I have recently harvested, or I head
over to Yelm to pick up some castings.If I have some of each, I'll mix
them up.

Dave

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Yahoo! Groups Links