Re: IPM etc certification

eskinner@zoo.uvm.edu (Elizabeth A. Skinner) wrote:
>I would be interested to know of any current programs or studies on
>consumer preferences and willingness to pay for reduced
>input/IPM/transitional/ecofriendly (BUT NON ORGANIC) certified and/or
>labelled ag products.
>I would love to hear current thought on value to environment, producers,
>and consumers of reduced input but non-organic certification programs
>and how these products are positioned with organic products.
>Thank you very much.
>Elizabeth Skinner
>Community Development and Applied Economics
>University of Vermont
The USDA integrated pest management initiative would have the most
current information on any studies pertaining to customer prefrences.  In
my personal research, concentrating on residential uses of IPM, I have
found a lack of intrest from the government and contractors.  Included in
Clinton's 'Bridge to the 21st century' is a goal to have 75% of
agricultural land under some sort of IPM program by the year 2000.
USDA's IPM initiative has had a substantial increase in its budget for
1997.  A lot of this money is being put into R&D, encouraging states,
producers, and scientists to develop products (biological ect...) that
would make IPM programs efficient and thus more agreeable to the
producer/consumer.  I could go into great depth about this but, alas, I
am a very boring writer - check out these sites:

Greg Ehrenberg
Bahia, Inc.
Atlanta, GA