Cascadian Farm, - Employment Announcement
Employment Opportunity Announcement
Cascadian Farm, Inc.
Cascadian Farm Inc, a leader in organic farming, food processing and
marketing has an opening for a horticulturist beginning Spring 1997.
This is a full time salaried based in Washington State. Duties include:
* Serve as liaison with growers and processors on all matters involved
with production of raw product contracted by Cascadian Farm.
* Recruit new growers as needed for future expansion and new product
* Manage the Crop Plan for vegetables including crop placement, cultivar
selection, planting/harvest dates, seed procurement and harvest/haul
* Assure the organic integrity of all contracted crops from planting
through primary processing.
* Assist growers with securing and maintaining organic certification,
organic soil fertility plans, pest disease and weed management
strategies. Monitor crops through the growing season and advise growers
on crop management.
* Keep records of crop yields, quality and value for proper and timely
* Design and conduct on-farm R&D and demonstration trials to develop,
implement and improve organic vegetable production systems.
* Liaison with processors-packers to facilitate harvest delivery and in
some cases primary processing operations.
* Assist in writing grower production guides, newsletters, R&D reports,
and crop budgets.
* Attend selected agricultural conferences, workshops and symposia to
keep current on developments in agricultural sciences and technology.
Applicants must have MS level education in Horticulture, Entomology,
Agronomy, Weed Science, Soil Science, or a similar discipline with a
strong and motivating interest in organic and sustainable systems,
experience with the processed vegetable and/or fruit industry and grower
relations. Excellent verbal and written communication skills are
Applicants must be self motivated, have confidence in making independent
decisions and must be comfortable working in a teamwork orientated work
environment. Considerable out of town travel is required and applicants
must be able to work a flexible schedule, working occasional weekends,
nights and holidays.
Cascadian Farm Inc produces and markets a collection of processed food
products based on certified organically grown ingredients. Based in
NW Washington State, the company contracts with fruit and vegetable
growers in Washington, Oregon, California, Wisconsin, British Columbia
and elsewhere. A dynamic, young, growing company with a strong, team
approach to production and a deep commitment to sustainable agriculture,
Cascadian Farm is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested applicants should submit resume, letter and references to:
Craig Weakley, VP of Agriculture, Cascadian Farm, 719 Metcalf St.,
Sedro Woolley, WA 98284. Phone (360) 855-0100, Fax (360) 855-0444,