[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

eucalyptus for reforestation?

Dear saneters:
I have another question for you.
I have been reading some reports from a local agency (in Venezuela)
suggesting that reforestation of watersheds should be done with the same
species of the area (which I agree on), and that exotics can also be used
(which I don't agree on), they suggest eucalyptus (Eucaliptus regnaus,
E.camaldulensis, E.globulos, E.citridora, E.viminalis, E.saligna,
E.uereticornis).  The vegetationin this area consists of dense high forests
with most tress up to 25 meters tall at an altitude from 5 to 2000 meters
above sea level and precipitation up to 2000 mm in 9 months of rainy
season.
I've read elsewhere that eucalyptus is not a good tree for watersheds
because it takes up too much water and it also acidifies the soil avoiding
growth of other species.
Can anyone give me accurate information on this subject?
Please reply to me directly.
Thanks so much for your time.
Patricia

PATRICIA GUTIERREZ, PH.D.
PRESIDENTE
FUNDACION DESARROLLO SUSTENTABLE DE VENEZUELA
http://sfsinforma.com/ongs/fdsv.htm