                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #132

July 2, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Reducing Reliance of Pesticides in Great Lakes Basin
Agriculture, 1997.* Polly Hoppin, Richard Liroff and
Michelle Miller. Outlines adverse health and
environmental impacts of pesticide use in U.S. Great
Lakes Basin, provides lists of commonly used pesticides
in this region and describes human exposures to
pesticides through water, air and food. Discusses
economically viable ways to reduce pesticides and
documents range of on-farm pesticide reduction practices
that are currently used in Great Lakes region.
Highlights policy tools for reducing pesticides and
focuses on how concerned citizens, farmers, policy
makers and others can work together to achieve these
aims. Describes regional and local initiatives to reduce
pesticides in Great Lakes Basin. 113 pp. US$16.50 plus
$3 shipping. World Wildlife Fund, P.O. Box 4866, Hampden
Post Office, Baltimore, MD 21211; phone (410) 516-6951;
fax (410) 516-6998.

*The Myths and Realities of Pesticide Reduction: A
Reader's Guide to Understanding the Full Economic
Impacts, 1997.* Edward Jaenicke. Examines studies on the
economic effects of pesticide restrictions, focusing on
how these studies confuse consumers and policy makers.
Provides brief overview of these studies' findings
regarding pesticide regulations in U.S. and Europe, many
of which conclude that farmers and consumers would
suffer from chemical reductions. Finds that many studies
do not examine benefits that could accrue from reducing
pesticides nor take into account that farmers adapt to
regulations. Presents suggestions for what to look for
when reading pesticide reduction studies, including how
effects of reduction are calculated, how costs are
calculated, whether environmental and health benefits
are considered and whether researchers take into account
where and how crops are grown as a result of reduction.
35 pp. US$6. Henry A. Wallace Institute for Alternative
Agriculture, 9200 Edmonston Road, Suite 117, Greenbelt,
MD 20770; phone (301) 441-8777; fax (301) 220-0164;
email hawiaa@access.digex.net.

*Reducing Reliance: A Review of Pesticide Reduction
Initiatives, 1997.* Meriel Watts and Ronald Macfarlane.
Examines pesticide use reduction policies worldwide,
including national and local initiatives in Asia,
Europe, North America and Cuba. Discusses advantages and
disadvantages of range of policies, including reduction
targets for volume and application frequency, transition
to integrated pest management and transition to organic.
Presents brief descriptions of pesticide policies in
many countries and cities worldwide. Recommends
important elements of successful use reduction policies,
including accurate measures of progress, ongoing
research, supportive policy environment and training of
extension workers. 93 pp. For cost and ordering
information, contact Pesticide Action Network Asia and
the Pacific, P.O. Box 1170, 10850 Penang, Malaysia;
phone (6-04) 657-0271; fax (6-04) 657-7445; email
panap@panap.po.my; http://www.poptel.org.uk/panap.

*Adding Values to Our Food System: An Economic Analysis
of Sustainable Community Food Systems, 1997.* Integrity
Systems Cooperative Co. for U.S. Department of
Agriculture. Presents findings of year-long study on
economic viability of sustainable community food systems
-- where food is grown, processed, distributed and
consumed locally. Discusses characteristics of
sustainable agriculture farms, crop yields, production
costs, farm income and processing and distribution
systems. Finds that community-scale food systems can be
cost competitive if designed in creative ways that
market directly to consumers. 86 pp. US$24.95. Integrity
Systems, 7101 Goodwin Road, Everson, WA 98247; phone
(360) 966-2504; fax (360) 966-7037; executive summary
available online: http://sunsite.unc.edu/farming-
connection/foodsys/addval.htm.

*Make the Connection: Health and Environment, 1997.*
Health & Environment Resource Center. Three volume
series describes hazards of pesticides and household
products and provides information about least toxic
alternatives. Includes brief overviews of common
household pesticides and discusses alternative control
practices for range of home and garden pests.
Information presented in lay language. US$12 for set.
Health & Environment Resource Center, P.O. Box 519.
Bettendorf, IA 52722; phone (319) 344-4816; email
enviroknow@aol.com.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.