[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Report Withdrawn

This is to let you know of a letter to the Editor of Science (publication of
the American Association for the Advancement of Science) in its 25 July,
1997 edition (page 462) which withdraws a report published in the 7
June 1996 edition (page 1489).

The report being withdrawn was entitled "Synergistic activation of
estrogen receptor with combinations of environmental chemicals."  The
letter in the current issue of Science states, in part:  "We have
conducted experiments duplicating the conditions of our earlier work, but
have not been able to replicate our initial results.  Also, since our
publication in Science, others have been unable to reproduce the results
we reported. Meanwhile, people in many walks of life have, on their
own, put great weight on this report as the basis for much discussion,
thought, and even public policy.  Whatever merit this publication
contained, and despite the enthusiasm it generated, it is clear that any
conclusions drawn from this report must be suspended until such time, if
ever, the data can be substantiated."  The letter is signed by John A.
McLachlan, Tulane-Xavier Center for Bioenvironmental Research, Tulane
University.