[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Chicken-wire for fencing out raccoons,skunks,etc.

   I have a field (several acres) where I grow a variety of vegetables
 including sweet corn. After consulting Rodale's "Garden Answers.." and
 other sources I have decided a perimeter fence of chicken-wire sunk 6" or
 more into the ground, with one or more strands of electric wire on top
 may be effective.
   Can anyone offer advice about chicken-wire, ie is there any advantage in
 buying 1" mesh over 2" mesh (much cheaper), what height might be best -ie
 3' is much cheaper than 4' but I don't want weeds to reach the electric
 wire and short it out.
   If the fence works I may in the future try free ranging chickens in the
 area so I would want the fence to exclude predators such as fox, weasel...
   Then there is the problem of deer...
  Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice.    Ralph Rae, Ontario, Canada