[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Watering soil blocks...

Jimmy Byun <peregrin@minerva.cis.yale.edu> wrote:

>I am using soil blocks for the first time this spring and have some
>questions... How do you tell if they are watered enough? The outsides of
>the blocks may looked soaked, but I have broken open blocks to reveal
>dry-as-dust interiors... How do other people water their soil blocks?
>Using a mister takes too long, but using a hose erodes them... (I am
>using 2" soil blocks and a mixture of 30 peat: 20 perlite: 10 soil: 20
>compost: 1/3 bloodmeal: 1/3 greensand: 1/3 colloidal phosphate: 1 lime)
>I'd appreciate any advice on this and other soil-block-related matters.
>Thanks!

>				Jimmy Byun
>				peregrin@minerva.cis.yale.edu

I've been using capillary mats to keep them moist.  I press the blocks
out right on the mat.  When it comes time to harden-off, I move them
to flats with an egg flipper.  They usually stay damp (with the odd
misting) for three or four days after coming off the mat. Works like a
charm!
Regards, j

--
say no to cars.