[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pasture

>have a small 5 acre farm and we are working towards, a more natural,
>organic attitude towards it. We run a few beef cattle, and pasture
them.
>Our pasture however, is old and quite weedy in a non-nutritive way.
How
>does one rejuvinate a pasture without using herbicides?
    I just finished "Quality Pasture" by Allan Nation, the pub. of
Grassfarmer.  I learned more in the first 2 pages than in months of
searching and asking questions.  The book is pricey, but **well** worth
it.  I'm working on 28 acers that are pretty dead as far as the soil
tests show.  I'll be doing the following, based on my understanding of
the book.
   1.  Keep the grass grazed or cut.  When you cut the grass, the
feeders roots die and begin to regrow.  This creates organic matter.
   2. Keep the thatch off, it creats an acidic zone on the surface that
discourges worm and other micro activity.
   3.  Lime, lime, lime in my case my ph is 5 (ouch).  But do it in
many doses.  Lime also acts as an activator in making other nurt.
available.
     Wish me luck! and luck to you    Jenny