[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Increased Prostate Cancers in Farmers

In article <s1b32e87.082@ARTHUR.RTPTOK.EPA.GOV>,
ELFVING.JULIE@epamail.epa.gov (JULIE ELFVING) wrote:

> vets.  The discussion turned to mention of a
> Canadian study of farmers using pesticides with
> Agent Orange-like properties.  The more the use of
> these pesticides, the higher the incidences of
> prostate cancer and the more acres covered, an even
> higher incidence.  They called it definitely a
> dose-response rather than direct causation. Can
> anyone report on this study?  What were the
> pesticides involved -- I presume herbicides? what did

Several pesticides have known carcinogenic activity.  Lindane
springs immediately to mind.  Lindane is a very persistant
insecticide, usually used on humans for treatment of body
crabs and lice.  One dose of lindane will double your
lifetime chance of malignant brain tumor.

In the USA, at least, use of lindane is strictly regulated, and
can't be used on any food crop or animal.  The louse shampoo
Qwell has been removed from the shelves and is only available
by doctor's prescription.

Dioxin is also a powerful carcinogen.  Trace dioxin was present
as part of the 2-4-5-T herbicide that was a part of Agent Orange.
Manufacture of 2-4-5-T is no longer legal in the USA, and I presume
also in Canada.  At one time, though, it was a preferred herbicide
for killing woody plants.

Since cancers take years or even decades to develop, the current crop
is the result of pesticides that were applied 20 to 40 years ago.
It's rare that a farmer would stick to only one chemical, so you have
no way of telling exactly which chemical caused the problem.  You can
make educated guesses though.

Farmers used to spray all sorts of chemicals, and if they didn't
get sick figured it was OK.  Nowdays most of us are a bit smarter,
and wear protective gear while spraying.  The current crop of pesticides
are much less persistant in the environment, but their short term
toxicity is sometimes much higher.

-- Larry