[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Permaculture garden beds

In article <v01540b02adf4b60ce1b0@[206.163.116.71]>, llami@teleport.com
(Lawton/Miller) wrote:

> I just moved to the Eugene area, and am caretaking a small farm for an
> unknown period of time. There is a garden area, fenced for deer, which has
> shoulder-high grass and weeds. I can't resist growing a few of my own
> vegetables, and I think I'll take some grass clippings and weeds I've
> pulled up, and which are now in compost bins, and I think I'll lay several
> layers on top of the living grass and weeds. There is some mushroom compost
> and potting soil lying around, which I think I'll put on top of those
> barely-composted grasses and weeds, and into which I'll plant my pepper,
> tomato and squash bedding plants.
>
> I haven't used this technique in the past, since I had raised beds where I
> lived before, but I have heard that this method can work.
>
> Does anyone have any opinions or advice they'd like to offer before I set
> out to do it this way tomorrow? Anyone want to take bets on my success? ;-)
>
> Looking forward to your comments,
>
> Lee

You would likely have better luck if you also covered the soil with layers
of cardboard, newspaper (black ink only), etc. and then thoroughly wetted
it. The grass and weeds should die down soon after. Crops like potatoes
can be grown under the sheet mulch by tearing a hole in the cardboard,
placing the potato on the ground, and covering with hay, straw or other
mulch.

Good luck!

Jeff

--